I was reminded of these experiences reading the FBI's criminal complaint against Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich. Blago's manner of speech contrasted rather nicely with the FBI's legal parlance, in much the same way as Petey Pablo and whatever young, ambitious scholar decided that what academia really needed was a tome about dirty rap lyrics. For example, this gem, a cameo by Blago's wife:
"During the call, ROD BLAGOJEVICHS's wife can be heard in the background telling ROD BLAGOJEVICH to tell Deputy Governor A "to hold up that fucking Cubs shit...fuck them." ROD BLAGOJEVICH asked Deputy Governor A what he thinks of his wife's idea. Deputy Governor A stated that there is a part of what ROD BLAGOJEVICH's wife said that he "agree[s] with." (44)
Or,
"Thereafter, ROD BLAGOJEVICH and others on the phone call discussed various ways ROD BLAGOJEVICH can "monetize" the relationships he is making as Governor to make money after ROD BLAGOJEVICH is no longer Governor." (65)
I don't know. Maybe its just the effect of seeing "ROD BLAGOJEVICH" in huge block letters immediately preceding the most blatantly corrupt, indicting shit a politician can be caught saying. Hilarious.
In general, humor has been my approach to this scandal. I lived in Chicago, so I'm really not shocked, or surprised even. Everybody knew Blago was a corrupt slimebag when he got re-elected, so I don't even know if the state of Illinois is a victim in all this. Embarrassing for Democracy? Sure. But if trying to get your wife a job - in these hard economic times no less! - is as bad as it gets... then this really ain't so bad. Distasteful, yes, but certainly not without humor.
Relatedly, I'm also getting a kick out of the Hannity-types out there trying to somehow pin this on Obama. He's from the same state! Its his Senate Seat and Corruption, OMG$#%#$jf!!! Seriously, this is how close Blago and Obama are:
"...[consultants] telling him that he [Blago] has to "suck it up" for two years and do nothing and give this "motherfucker [the President-elect] his senator. Fuck him. For nothing? Fuck him." (63)
And,
"Later in the conversation, ROD BLAGOJEVICH said he knows that the President-elect wants Senate Candidate 1 for he Senate seat but "they're not willing to give me anything except appreciation. Fuck them." (66)
If one politician calls another politician a motherfucker, and tells him to go fuck himself three times, well surely that's political collusion if I ever saw it...
No comments:
Post a Comment