Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Found a Connect, It was in the South, Ever Since Then Man I've Never Seen a Drought

Pretty sad story of a college student assailed for her political allegiance. 

Generally, the belief goes that all racists are (were) McCain supporters. Not, all McCain supporters are racists. But of course none of this is true, as more than a few racists, black and white, are Obama supporters. I had read anecdotes about people who a) were openly racist and b) voted Obama but then on Election Day I actually encountered one myself.  Guy with his shirt off sitting on a milk carton in front of his "Crack Shack" (words my coworkers used to describe the place - I believe them) talking about how he "voted for the nigger." Strange world we live in, indeed.

The site I found this link on was, rather predictably, bemoaning the "repression" conservatives face on college campuses.  I'm used to seeing victimology play out in some quarters of the left, but seeing it on the right has always been somewhat odd.  I had quite a few conservative professors, but generally the student body was steadily liberal. I think this has more to do, though, with the fact that we were politically socialized under the reign of King George the Incompetent than any institutional bias.  When the only President I've only ever really known - I was 14 when he was inaugurated - has a current approval rating that would embarrass Nixon... are you really surprised that I don't identify with the GOP?

But alas, not liking the politics of McCain-Palin(!) supporters = fine;  beating up people you don't like = not fine. But that latter point is pretty much universal, I think.

No comments: