Yeah, because this hasn't happened yet.
But on another note, Warshawsky also expresses surprise that this first black President is a liberal Democrat, not a conservative Republican. I've heard this from other conservative commentators as well. I'm new to this, but apparently many conservatives were convinced the first black President would be a Republican. This strikes me as rather odd, because I for one have no clue where this black Presidential candidate is supposed to come from. In fact, I'm trying to think of any black Republican politicians and I've come up with Alan Keyes (who is, I think, literally crazy) and Michael Steele, whose pinnacle of achievement was Lieutenant Governor of a state with a heavy black population, Maryland. Maybe, they're still harkening back to the days of Reconstruction, when many blacks voted Republican. Of course the party of Lincoln shares almost no resemblance to modern-day Republicans, except in name. Or maybe it's Clarence Thomas syndrome. I dunno. But, as conservatives are shocked the first black President isn't one of them, I'm shocked at their inability to recognize how excluded African-Americans are from their own party. When you try to win elections on a strategy of racial resentment for 40 years, you get things like 96% of blacks voting against you. The GOP is unacceptable to black voters, and black politicians are unacceptable to GOP voters. Why this should come as a shock to anybody is a bit beyond me.
No comments:
Post a Comment