Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Preachin' Linen Gods, With Cashmere Shirts

Krugman: (The word I hear, by the way, is that Obama's opposition to mandates was tactical politics, not conviction - so he may well be prepared to do the right thing now that the election is won.)


Duh.  When you're running against the Clintons, and you're down 20-30 points, you don't make up ground by running on the same platform as the Clintons.  Additionally, it's been apparent since the beginning that Obama's heart isn't in health care reform. I know going through the motions when I see it.  That he isn't passionate about it though is relatively inconsequential so long as he is willing to spend political capital on health care reform. As Ezra will tell you, health care reform lives and dies in the Congress.  And at this point, it would be a little embarrassing if Obama did not to go to bat for health care. 

Back when it was fashionable to discuss what position Obama could give Hillary Clinton - in return for her loyalty, I guess (Supreme Court Justice was a surprisingly popular idea) I thought giving her a key position within the health care portfolio made most sense. She's obviously passionate and supremely knowledgeable on the subject and could even conceivably have a greater influence on the final product within the Senate than as President.  Of course, Max Baucus will be leading the charge. But, given that the rough outline of the plan now closely resembles Hillary's plan, it should be safe to say that she's an important factor.

No comments: