Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Mom Dukes Ain't Givin Me Shit

Things I plan to steal from others:

Spencer Ackerman's Naming Every Post After Hip Hop Lyrics (probably the greatest innovation in blogging since the comments section)

Josh Marshall's (Or is that Eschaton's?) Deep Thought Segments

Ta-Nehisi Coates Geniality


One phrase I will never use and should be retired from political discourse forever:

"Throw under the bus" - come on guys, there HAS to be another way of saying this. "Sudden, unwelcome disassociation," perhaps? Relatedly, the most common reaction I heard fromright-wing observers who watched Obama spend a full half hour in Philadelphia talking about one of the most politically toxic issues on the table in a way no politician ever has, so far as I can tell at least, was to say "He threw his grandmother under the bus! I'm shocked, shocked! He'll say anything to get elected! He'll throw his grandmother under the bus! THE BUS!! Nobody ever makes it back from UNDER THE BUS!" These geniuses simply didn't get, or, more likely, didn't care about, the point of the comparison and through their willful ignorance missed a great opportunity for, you know, discussion. Other people "thrown under the bus" this political season include Rev. Wright, Samantha Powers, Pastor Hagee, and, most recently, the lip-stick wearing idiot from Alaska.

Please. Enough of this phrase.


No comments: