Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Loungin on the Avenues, Drinkin Brews

To paraphrase Matt Yglesias' first ever post, Let's see if this blog thing works.

About me: Early twenties, recent graduate with a Political Science degree (read: unemployed), currently residing in Washington, D.C.

That about sums me up.  As for the creation of this platform, the first blog I really seriously read was Ezra Klein's Everything Healthcare back when he was still on typepad.  I had, of course, been very late to the game of reading blogs, but Ezra's got me hooked.  From there, I realized TalkingPointsMemo, which I had already been reading for about a year, was sorta like a blog - but not - then I got into Andrew Sullivan's Daily Dish, whose link-intensive postings exposed me to the vast network we today call the blogosphere.

Back on the night of the Iowa Primaries I called a few friends and predicted that if Barack Obama won that night he would be a two-term President. One epic primary fight and one general election down, one general to go. The essential reason I created J Starr was because, like most political junkies, I was aghast at the amount of shockingly bad political commentary out there. Every third article I read on RCP, even as late as September, was a steaming pile of rehashed conventional wisdom served atop a platter of bullshit.  At least I learned a few things from the inexorable parade of idiocy that flowed from all sides, e.g., if one attacks "the media," whatever the fuck that actually means, more than your opponent one is already fucked, and whining about it to boot, or, relatedly, if nobody is tracking down a story that's been out there for months it's probably because nobody cares, not because newspaper writers are in the tank for your opponent.  

Thus, J Starr exists as a matter of record for me - I'll be shocked if anybody I don't know reads it more than once - to store for posterity my opinions.  Hopefully, a year from now I won't have to delete the whole thing out of shame.

No comments: